01 August, 2014

My mini stockpile method

When I first started stockpiling it was because there was a great sale on at a wholesalers called JTF (well worth a visit if there's one close by). I stocked up on body wash, toothbrushes, disposable razors, a big bottle of 2 in 1 shampoo & conditioner and moisturisers for my first year at university. I still have some of the products left now, almost a year later. 

But I soon found that having body wash, behind body wash, behind body wash in a tiny university bedroom didn't work for me. And having to cart massive bottles which didn't fit into anything smaller than a carrier bag to a shared bathroom and back daily was starting to annoy me. 

So I developed a system, I'd slowly collected miniature bottles  over the course of a few months (now its summer look for travel bottles- B & M bargains has a good set for £2, I'll show how I use mine in a later post) and labeled them according to their contents. I filled the miniature bottles to the top and put them in a wash bag. The big bottles that were now 3/4 or a 1/2 full went into a bedside draw (those big plastic 3- draw type ones) so it'd be easier to refill when necessary. I also put 1 backup product in this draw also, so I'd have a travel sized tube of toothpaste in my wash bag but I'd also have a half empty tube which I refill the travel sized one with and another full tube in my stockpile draw. The rest of my stockpile went into an under bed storage container and was only taken out when an item in my stockpile draw needed to be replaced, and any new stockpile items immediately went into the under bed storage.


I find that having a stockpile draw that's easily accessible works better for me than having multiples of products behind every cupboard door. I can easily refill the wash bag bottles and if I'm running low I can check my stockpile to get another and if I'm running low in my stockpile, I know I have a few months to search for a deal for this item. Besides the stockpile draw, I keep all of my stockpile in one place. Then, when I'm running low, I know where to look.

Although this method would only work for toiletries and other non-consumables.

No comments:

Post a Comment